NIU’s deal with Pepsi makes the choice clear on campus

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | The debate on the superiority between Pepsi and Coca-Cola rages on NIU’s campus.

Chavon Feaster, a junior English major, said she used to drink a can of Coca-Cola at least once a day before she gave it up for Lent.

“Coca-Cola just tastes better,” she said. “Pepsi has a sweet taste to it, and I don’t like that.”

Though Feaster said she does not purchase items from the NIU vending machines often, when she does, she usually opts for water or ginger ale.

Owned and operated by Pepsi Americas and Ace Coffee Bar, Inc., about 200 vending machines are available on campus, said Mitch Kielb, director of the Holmes Student Center. With the number of machines being fairly constant, both companies have a 10-year contract that expires in December of 2008, he said.

The machines are solely operated by the two companies, Kielb said. Product prices vary depending on the product, size and inflation rates. Though the machines do not cost the university anything to have on campus, NIU makes about $500,000 per year on commission from vending, Kielb said.

In addition, NIU receives $400,000 for academic and student initiatives through its involvement with vending machine distributors. Of that, $200,000 goes to a centennial scholarship administered by the Provost; $50,000 to improvement of undergraduate teaching coordinated by faculty development; $50,000 to student life initiative coordinated by the vice provost for academic affairs; $50,000 to undergraduate special opportunities in artistry and research administered by the vice provost; and $50,000 to athletic scholarships coordinated by athletics, he said.

Pepsi Americas, based in Rolling Meadows, sells popular carbonated soft drinks, juice, tea, water and coffee. Ace Coffee Bar, Inc., based in Streamwood, sells mostly snacks, ice cream, hot drinks such as coffee and refrigerated food.

According to a Northern Star article published in 2005, the most popular Pepsi products sold were Aquafina bottled water, Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Eric Dobraein, a junior economics major, said he does not like drinking Pepsi because it is not as refreshing as Coca-Cola.

“Because there are no Coca-Cola products available, my use of the vending machines is next to zero,” he said.

Amanda Koenig, a junior meteorology major, said she usually brings water to her classes, but when she does buy a refreshment from the vending machines, she enjoys drinking the Pepsi products.

“I like Pepsi, and actually prefer it over Coke,” she said.