Students pack the Rec in the evening

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | The Campus Recreation Center is packed at certain hours and empty at others.

Elijah Chung works out at the Rec three times a week.

Chung, a senior psychology major, said the Rec is always busy around 9 p.m. during the week.

“There’s more incoming freshman who use it each year, so the numbers keep increasing,” Chung said.

Caitlin Nowlan, a sophomore communications major, said she goes to the Rec about four times a week, and has seen an more people recently.

“I’ve seen more people here this year than last year,” Nowlan said. “There are a lot of people who enjoy working out, so an expansion would be a good idea to consider.”

About 2,000 students, faculty, staff and community members utilize the Rec and Field House on average daily with the winter months being the busiest, said Sandi Carlisle, Director of Campus Recreation Services. Though participation numbers decreased at the Rec Center from 2004 to 2006, the numbers are expected to increase this year by 15 percent, she said.

As in previous years, the Rec Center continues to be busiest between 3 and 10 p.m., Carlisle said.

“Currently, we are working with Environmental and Health Safety to define capacity code requirements for each space,” she said. “There is typically a wait to exercise on cardio, weight machines, racquetball and multi-purpose courts. Recreation Services only has a certain number of machines, stations and space to accommodate students during prime time.”

Patrons are encouraged to exercise at the Field House during open recreation prime time, which is after 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Often, the Field House is less crowded than the Rec Center, Carlisle said. The Field House also offers cardio machines, a jogging/walking track, four multi-purpose courts and a few plate loaded strength machines.

The Rec Center tends to be busiest in the beginning of the spring semester after New Year’s resolutions are made, said Bryan Winemiller, a senior drawing major. Winemiller said the Rec could use an increase in available space and equipment.

“I definitely think the Rec needs more basketball courts, and maybe needs to spread out the machines more,” he said.

Though participation at the Rec is expected to increase in the fall of 2007, there are no plans for expansion, Carlisle said.

“We will continue to discuss our facilities, space and equipment needs as it relates to our student needs as well as how we compare with similar institutions,” she said. “If we are not meeting student needs then we need to take a look at how to expand facilities and equipment to better meet their needs.”