Separated by duty

By Herminia Irizarry

For most students, dating involves meeting between classes or getting together on the weekends for dinner or a party.

For Krista Corbo and Mary Vanderbilt, however, dating their boyfriends means sending love through packages, e-mails and long-awaited phone calls. Corbo, 19, and Vanderbilt, 20, are currently in long-distance relationships with men in the military.

A sophomore nursing major, Vanderbilt, has dated Brian Molloy, 3rd-class officer in the U.S. Navy, for three years. They have been apart while Molloy is on-duty half a world away for a majority of the last two years.

“What makes it difficult is the military base basically says what you do and when you do it, so it’s hard to get time to talk,” Vanderbilt said.

Corbo, a sophomore corporate communications major, has been with her boyfriend, Sean Kaspar, Lance Corporal of the United States Marine Corps, for more than a year. Kaspar is stationed in Iraq and she said that he hopes to return sometime this summer.

“Even with the best conditions and under the best circumstances, relationships need a lot of work,” said Troy Melendez, licensed clinical psychologist and director of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services. “When you add distance, that’s a big factor. In this situation you’re not only adding distance but the other anxieties [as well].”

Melendez said dating someone in the military may further complicate an already complicated long-distance relationship.

“If you’re at home, there are a lot more things you’re worried about than if your boyfriend was half a country away in school,” Melendez said.

Corbo agrees and said she has a lot more concerns than other people in a typical long-distance relationship.

“The worst part is every time the phone rings my heart jumps in my throat because I’m scared of what that phone call could be,” Corbo said.

Both women agree a long-distance relationship with their military men is difficult, especially with others constantly plaguing them with negative stereotypes or comments.

“Someone once asked me if I was afraid of him since he was a Marine, he was ‘murderer,'” Corbo said. “It’s hard for me because I am here supporting him and I am proud of what he does.”

Some members of Molloy’s family doubted whether Vanderbilt could stay faithful, while others constantly reminded Vanderbilt of the Navy men stereotypes of “a girl at every port.”

Despite negative stereotypes, Melendez said successful long-distance relationships with men in the military are not impossible.

“If you’re committed enough to anything, nothing is impossible,” Melendez said. “If you are really committed to being with someone and that’s something you value, you’re going to do whatever it takes.”

Both women said this mentality is what drives them to continue their relationships and resist any negativity from others.

“I’m so proud of him,” Corbo said. “He has so much courage and he’s very brave. Not everyone can put their lives in danger for their country.”

Both women are now engaged to their military men and both look to a positive future.

“It’s only four years,” Vanderbilt said. “After that I will see him everyday, it’s just temporary. I just have to suffer it through it for now.”