University plans summer construction

By Stephen Cook

DeKALB | While the number of students on campus decreases over the summer, the number of repair projects increase.

May 15 marks the opening of this construction window of opportunity.

Lots W and X on west campus will be repaved, the lots will have new lights installed and the curbs will be improved. Grant Drive East will also undergo construction to restore its quality. An estimated $220,000 will be needed for this project.

“In regards to the parking lots, repaving them is an issue addressing safety and space,” said Bob Albanese, associate vice president of Finance and Facilities.

Neptune West is currently undergoing roof replacement. The 15-year-old roof of the Campus Recreation Center also will be replaced for nearly $150,000.

The Student Financial Aid Office in Swen Parson Hall will receive its share of improvements as well. The current area does not provide adequate privacy required to discuss students’ personal finances. Introduction of private space for financial counseling will require about $424,000.

The wellness center Monsanto will also undergo a fair amount of work this summer. Renovations to the site will provide a larger workspace, increasing productivity among information technology employees. The NIU Speech and Hearing Clinic also will move to the wellness center. The improvement will require about $5.9 million and should be completed by August.

“Accessibility is necessary,” Albanese said regarding the installation of automatic doors in DuSable for students with physical disabilities. Each door and window in DuSable and Cole Halls will be replaced to allow for improved temperature regulation and energy conservation. This project is estimated to cost about $3.9 million.

To prevent another kitchen fire similar to the one at Pizza Plus in the Holmes Student Center last fall, the HSC will be renovated with upgraded kitchen hoods. The kitchen renovations will cost about $220,000.