ITS messaging system broadens

By Matthew Rainwater

DeKALB | Information Technology Services’ Unified Messaging System has been available on a limited basis to some users since 2001. It will soon reach out to the rest of campus.

The system combines messaging systems into one access point, said Teri Reid, the ITS communications manager. All one has to do is log onto a Web browser account and have the freedom to check their voice mail, fax, cell phone calls and e-mail.

“We are currently in the works of migrating the campus into the new system,” Reid said. “So far, we’ve gotten a positive reaction from students and faculty when this was announced on March 27.”

Reid said an e-mail about what this is will be sent out soon.

New users will be given the basics, which is only voice mail access. To get access to desktop/Web access and other features, users will have to contact ITS to set up those features.

“The old system, which was called Meridian Mail, was only voice mail,” Reid said. “This new system will include much more.”

Student reaction to the new system is mixed for the most part. Both Jake Jarodsky and Colleen Garon, junior and senior ceramics majors, felt they would never use the system.

“I don’t ever use voice mail as it is,” Jarodsky said. “I don’t want to listen to any drunken messages.”

Garon felt the same way, even though she doesn’t live on campus. When she did live on campus, she never used the voice mail system.

For more information, visit www.its.niu.edu.