NIU Campus Parking Services initiates ‘Borrow a Bike’ program

By Liz Baxter

DeKALB | Campus Parking Services has recently created a new “Borrow a Bike” program to help students, faculty and staff with the parking shortages near campus.

There is no charge for the service unless the bike is damaged or lost. Students, faculty and staff can bring their NIU OneCard to Campus Parking Services during regular business hours, complete a bike loan form and get a bike. Campus Parking Services also loans the borrower a lock and helmet.

“I think the bike program will help those who are looking for alternative ways to get around campus,” said Laura Lundelius, coordinator of parking and traffic.

Bikes are available at Campus Parking Services – near the parking garage – for check-in and check-out from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Lundelius said.

If students don’t return the bike, they are fined $75.

“Damages have to be assessed as they occur, but will not exceed the $75 limit,” Lundelius said. “There are also fines for other items that are returned damaged or not returned, and they are for lights, $15, helmets, $40 and locks, $15.”

The pre-owned bikes are currently available for weekday use only and have to be returned in the same week they are borrowed.

“Right now, bikes cannot be loaned out over the weekends or holiday periods,” Lundelius said. “As the program evolves, some of these procedures may change. The pre-owned bikes are currently available for weekday use only and have to be returned in the same week they are borrowed.”

The program is appealing to some students.

“I think it is a good program,” said Ilce Deithloff, senior speech and language pathology major. “It will help students get around easier. I hope a lot of students take advantage of it.”

Christine Perkins didn’t exhibit the same enthusiasm as Deithloff.

“I think I might use it,” said the freshman textiles, apparel and merchandising major. “But I really don’t have any place to store it.”

Others leaned more toward skepticism.

“I would think about using it,” said Mike Petkos, freshman marketing major. “But you hear all the time about bikes getting stolen. You would get stuck paying for it if something happened to it.”