More jobs offering wellness programs

By Michelle Gibbons

Maintaining exercise and nutrition during college may not only be a health benefit, but may also be beneficial in the workplace.

As a way to increase productivity on the job, more employers are offering health and wellness services and programs to employees.

“There is a greater trend toward providing [health and wellness] services because research has shown that the healthier the employee is, the less time they are going to miss work, call in sick or take mental health days,” said Donna Schoenfeld, director of Health Enhancement.

Schoenfeld said she advises students to get into a fitness and nutrition routine now to maintain after college.

Health and wellness services are perks college graduates may want to look for when applying for a job, she said. If an employer does not offer such programs on the work site, employers may provide it elsewhere.

“Often, [employers] will give the employee [a discount] if they join a fitness club, such as the YMCA, with the proof of a one-year membership,” Schoenfeld said.

Employers may also provide special programs such as stress management, healthful nutrition or other incentives, such as discounts on fitness classes.

The NIU Employee Assistance and Wellness Program, which started in 1991, works to enhance the well-being of all NIU employees, said Nancy Apperson, coordinator of the program. This service assists people with any personal or work problems that may conflict with their ability to work and offer support and resources to deal with the situation.

“We will assist employees and help them learn, perhaps, not to personalize a situation that might be a difference in style among two people, or learn how to communicate about that more effectively,” Apperson said.

Employee Assistance and Wellness also offers brown-bag luncheon series each semester. This year, Recreation Services is providing programs on fitting exercise into your daily schedule to enhance your health, she said.

The annual Wellness Fair is one of Employee Assistance and Wellness’ main events. The fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“The Wellness Fair will have over 90 vendors related to health and wellness where employees and students can come and participate in various health screenings and assessments, or just receive a free, stress-reducing massage,” Apperson said.

Though employers may make health and wellness opportunities available, it should be strictly voluntary for the employee to participate, Schoenfeld said.

“People choose to be involved in wellness however they so desire,” she said. “Maybe they have a really good gym setup at home, or maybe they prefer to engage in vigorous walking or cardio activities. We want people to be involved in their own accord to see the value of it.”