Program recycles phones, ink cartridges

By Julia Haugen

DeKALB | DeKalb has implemented a “Recycle by Mail” program aimed at reducing the number of cell phones and ink cartridges that end up in residents’ garbage cans.

The program is set up so DeKalb residents can have small, postage-paid bags sent to their homes by contacting the City of DeKalb Department of Public Works. The bags then get sent back through the mail and the city either recycles the phones and cartridges or disposes of them in an environmentally friendly method.

Residents may also stop in at the Public Works Administration Office and pick up recycling bags if they bring a current ID as proof of residency.

Approximately 14 million ink cartridges end up in landfills every year, according to NIU’s 3R Program. Financial incentives are offered through different sources, from manufacturers to programs such as the Funding Factory, which has a point system to reward a chosen charity or school for used ink cartridges.

“Recycling is big business now,” said Mary Drain, an engineer at NIU.

The college recycles its ink cartridges through the distributor they are purchased from. In return, the college receives discounts on future purchases. DeKalb is also hoping to recycle many of the phones and cartridges sent in and receive a modest rebate for still-usable parts.

While NIU has recycling contracts for almost everything on campus used by the university, students’ recyclables, including ink cartridges, are not eligible for pickup.

The “Recycle by Mail” program is up and running, said Mary Anne Sisler of DeKalb’s Department of Public Works. “Ads began to run March 1.”

The city is stressing the ease with which residents may now recycle phones and cartridges, but some NIU students wonder how high participation rates will actually be.

Sophomore communications major Aron Philipchuck said accessible recycling is a good idea, especially in a college community, but he does not know how practical it is to ask students to use a return-mail program.

“It would be more beneficial if the bags were brought to the school,” Philipchuck said.

Anyone wishing to participate may call the City of DeKalb Department of Public Works Administration Office at 815-748-2030 from 1 to 4 p.m. weekdays.