Vegans find NIU dining hall choices not so hot

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | Edwin Alanis doesn’t dine in the residence halls very often, but when he does, he usually finds available vegan options in the salad bar.

Alanis, a senior philosophy and psychology major said he eats at the dining halls in Neptune and Lincoln occasionally. Some of the vegan foods Alanis said he finds available are hummus, fried tofu, pasta with Prego sauce, red beans and rice, spinach tofu ravioli, peanut butter and jelly, pizza and fresh soy milk.

“I think the dining halls have made significant efforts over the past several years to cater to the growing number of vegans, vegetarians and people who simply want healthier options available during meals,” Alanis said.

However, Alanis said at least one dining hall should ensure a hot vegan entree, other than Boca [veggie] burgers and pasta with Prego sauce, at each meal. He said these are good meals, but they tend to get repetitive.

To be a vegan item, it can not have any dairy, animal product or by-product in the ingredients, said Kenneth Whitney, university chef for Dining Services. The availability of vegan items differs in each dining hall. For example, Stevenson offers vegan options at every meal, Monday through Friday; Lincoln at one to two items per week; Douglas at two to four per week and Grant and Neptune at several times per week, Whitney said.

Lyssa Liotta, a junior KNPE major lives in Neptune West residence hall and eats at Neptune every day. Liotta, who is a vegetarian, said she usually eats pasta, fruit, ice cream, tea and Boca burgers.

Liotta said she does not think there is enough variety for vegetarians and vegans on campus.

“My meals often consist of snack-like items; Not to mention, a short time later, I’m looking for something more to eat,” Liotta said.

Alanis said the vegetarian selection seems adequate. Students who have a hard time finding vegan or vegetarian options should fill out a comment card which are available in each dining hall, he said.

“Constructive feedback is the best way to let the dining halls know what students want,” he said.

Alanis, who is president of the NIU Vegetarian Education Group on campus, said students can contact the group for more information on plant-based diets and finding vegetarian and vegan foods in the area.

Dining Services is always looking at new products and recipes to test by attending different food shows, Whitney said.

“We hope to continue to expand our recipe and product base to meet the ever-changing demands of our customers and the trends of private sector of the food service industry,” he said. “[There] is a growing number of vegan and vegetarians, and our job is to realize and understand this and continue to meet the needs of as many of the dietary choices as possible.”