Panel discussion raises HIV/AIDS awareness

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | Thato Masalela saw a change in students when the topic of HIV and AIDS was discussed Wednesday for National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day.

NIU Health Enhancement held a panel discussion with more than 80 students in attendance to provide information and answer questions on HIV and AIDS. The DeKalb County Health Department also offered free walk-in HIV testing and counseling at the Holmes Student Center prior to the discussion, and 14 students were tested, said Steve Lux, a health educator for Health Enhancement.

Masalela, a senior public health major and student intern for Health Enhancement, said she thought the turnout was great.

“The questions asked by students were certainly good questions,” she said. “It seemed to motivate them to want to do something about the disease [and inform others].”

Lux said some of the panel members included Dwight Hunter from the Chicago Department of Public Health; Angela McGee, a writer, producer and director for the show “Judge Mathis”; and Ngoyi Bukonda, an associate professor in public health and health education.

Both McGee and Bukonda are looking for students to get involved with HIV/AIDS awareness, Lux said. McGee is working on a play on HIV/AIDS to present at NIU and is looking for student involvement. Bukonda would like to get a group of students to study abroad to learn about the subject, he said.

Lux saw great enthusiasm from the student audience who offered comments and questions.

“We are certainly heartened by the response,” he said. “We hope to continue doing different types of interventions to raise awareness on campus about the risks of HIV/AIDS and how people can protect themselves.”

The cause

HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, is transmitted through sexual contact, sharing of contaminated needles and infected blood transfusions, and from pregnant women to their offspring. Someone who catches HIV will be infected for life.

AIDS, or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, is a collection of diseases caused by HIV. AIDS causes the body’s immune system over time to become compromised and open to infection, Lux said.

“We have this day of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day to try to raise awareness, particularly among the African American population because they are disproportionately affected,” Lux said.

About 20 years ago the predominant number of people infected with HIV were white males. Today, black females are one of the fastest growing groups infected with the virus, he said.

Many people do not know they are infected with HIV because it can take as long as 15 years to experience symptoms, Lux said. However, flu-like symptoms may surface within only only a few months after exposure to HIV, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

“We’re urging people to know their status, to get tested, and if they’re sexually active, to practice safer sexual practices,” he said. “There is no safe sex, but if someone chooses to be a sexual person, there are ways to significantly reduce your risk and really prevent acquiring this infection.”