City council passes two ordinances over break

By Ryan Strong

DeKALB | While many students returned home for winter break, the DeKalb City Council was busy preparing for spring.

Over break, the council discussed the possibility of turning a 65-unit Mason Properties apartment complex into individually owned units. DeKalb city manager Mark Biernacki said this is the first time this has happened in DeKalb. Biernacki said the sale of the apartments – which are on Annie Glidden Road – would most likely not affect students.

“It shouldn’t affect [students] unless their parents decide to buy a unit for them instead of renting elsewhere,” Biernacki said.

The council will vote on the resolution at its Jan. 22 meeting.

Furthermore, two ordinances passed at the Jan. 8 meeting. The first allows residents to choose their own electrical service provider in the future. The second updated codes for DeKalb’s flood plains. DeKalb city clerk Donna Johnson said there were no major changes in DeKalb over winter break that would affect students.

“It’s been pretty quiet,” Johnson said.

Johnson said the council is gearing up for this spring’s alderman election. Seats are open for the first, third, fifth and seventh wards. NIU is a part of both the first and seventh wards.

Two current aldermen said they will not be seeking another term. Donna Johnson said 5th Ward Alderman Patrick Conboy and 7th Ward Alderman James Barr will not run.

First Ward Alderman Karega Harris has not yet shown an interest in running for re-election.

“I haven’t decided yet,” Harris said. “I need to make that decision real soon.”

Residents older than 18 can run for an alderman position. The only other requirement for a prospective alderman is to have lived in their ward for at least one year prior to running for office.

“Now is the time to start petitioning,” Johnson said.

The dates to register are Jan. 29 through Feb. 5.