Free Rec classes big hit with cheap students

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | Before this week, Allison Murphy wasn’t sure which Campus Recreation Center fitness class to take.

The sophomore business administration major said the free classes offered both this week and finals week at the Rec were beneficial. So far she participated in yoga, which she said was packed with students.

Bethany Bohlig, a Recreation Services fitness graduate assistant and exercise physiology major, said the free classes, which began Tuesday and will run until Sunday, are a way to promote the fitness classes and semester passes.

Bohlig said there are always increases in the number of participants in the free classes, especially during the first week of school.

“Normally, classes during the semester, when they have to pay for them, are maybe around 20 people,” she said. “There were 60 people [in one of my classes] tonight. I think it’s just a great way for them to try it out before they buy a pass.”

Yoga instructor Debbie Brandt also said she always notices her class sizes at least doubling during every free class week, and thinks it’s a wonderful idea.

“I notice that usually the numbers are really up,” Brandt said. “I was surprised it was only 13 [participants] in class [Wednesday] because it’s not uncommon to get 50 on free week. I usually don’t see all those people again. However, I saw at least three or four familiar faces in my class [Wednesday].”

Wyatt Foderaro, a sophomore English major, said he also tried yoga during free week and plans to try more classes, such as the spin and hardcore classes.

“I think it’s cool because it gets a lot more people involved in the Rec,” Foderaro said.

Bohlig said some of the new

classes offered this semester include

salsa, cardio mix and yogalates.

Michelle Gibbons is the health and fitness reporter for the Northern Star.