Leadership Academy: transforming students

By Jermaine Pigee

DeKALB | The NIU Division of Student Affairs started a Leadership Academy in fall 2005, with the hopes of improving students’ leadership skills.

The group boasts a membership of 52 students who hope to improve their abilities.

“It consists of three tiers. Each tier is designed to enhance a student’s leadership skills,” said Monica Trevino, Student Affairs associate director. “Students wanted a leadership program as a chance to show off their leadership talent.”

The academy looks for continued growth, even though it is in its infancy.

Trevino said the administration has been very helpful with the academy, and students agree that the leadership conference will improve their talent.

“The leadership meetings are helpful because they help develop skills like communication,” said Marjean Pobuda, freshman mechanical engineering major. “The academy also provides an opportunity for students to implement new things on campus.”

Other students say the program not only helped them get involved on the campus, but also helped them with problems in their lives.

“I transferred here in 2005, and I joined the academy to get involved on campus,” said Ruth Molokwu, senior biology pre-dentistry major. “The academy will also help me approach conflict.”

One main reason many of the 52 students joined the group is to improve their skills for jobs after graduation.

“I want to become a teacher, and this program will help me become a better leader,” said Katie Wehrmeister, freshman elementary education major. “The academy will also help me meet people who also want to be leaders.”