Alderman hopefuls gear up for election

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | The race for the top of the ballot began Monday morning on the first day to formally declare intent to become a DeKalb alderman.

NIU student Brent Keller will get top ballot position for the 7th Ward. There was a tie this morning in the 3rd and 5th Wards and a lottery on Feb. 8 will determine the preferred ballot spot. So far, no candidates have filed petitions for Ward 1, the district including Greek Row.

This year the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th wards are up for grabs.

Candidates have until Feb. 5 at 5 p.m. to file with the city clerk’s office. Candidates for the 1st Ward need 13 signatures and six signatures are needed for the 7th Ward. If no one ends up running in the 7th ward, there will still be a ballot and it will provide a spot for a write-in candidate.

Ward 7, the area west of Annie Glidden Road and south of Lincoln Highway, has one candidate, Brent Keller, 1036 Regent Drive.

Keller is a sophomore accountancy major at NIU. He is also the only student who has filed for candidacy thus far.

“From personal experience, I can say we’ve had some very good student representatives on the council,” said DeKalb City Clerk Donna Johnson. “We’ve also had some sleepers where I’d have to poke them to wake them up for a vote.”

Johnson said in general, student aldermen have been as good as the town aldermen.

The only current candidate seeking reelection is 3rd Ward alderman Steve Kapitan. He formally submitted his petition along with 3rd Ward challenger Victor Wogen.

Ronald G. Naylor and Gavin Wilson have also turned in petitions, both for Ward 5.