Student Association approves resolution, giving CAB green light to install events hotline

By Matt Gilbert

The Campus Activities Board is going to get a voice mail information hotline.

CAB also is encouraging people to snap up the last few tickets remaining for Homecoming week concerts, and to save pennies for tickets to Cypress Hill, which go on sale this weekend.

The Student Association voted unanimously Sunday night in favor of a resolution calling for $200 to fund a voice mail system for CAB. The voice mail will provide information to prospective ticket buyers who call the Carl Sandburg Auditorium ticket booth after hours.

The ticket booth is open from noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. The voice mail will operate when the ticket booth is closed and 24 hours on weekends.

The hotline also will give information about other places people can buy tickets that might have more accessible hours, like Appletree Records or the Junction Bookstore.

Jen Buelow, CAB concerts budget director, told the SA the voice mail will pay for itself in increased revenue for the organization. “For every person that calls and doesn’t get any information, that’s two tickets lost. That adds up very fast. That could be (as much as) $500 a week.” she said.

Buelow also said the amount of information CAB has to give would make an answering machine insufficient. The voice mail system would ask callers to press numbers on their touch-tone phones to direct them to information on concerts, films or fine arts events.

“When people call up and have to listen to an answering machine that has (a long message containing) information that isn’t relevant to what they want to find out, they get frustrated. They hang up and say ‘Forget it. I’m not going,'” she said.

Buelow said while people can order tickets over the phone during the ticket window’s regular hours, they will not be able to buy them through voice mail. CAB hopes to get the voice mail system operational within three weeks.

There also are a few tickets left for two major concerts this week, CAB said.

Primus will be appearing with the Melvins at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Duke Ellington Ballroom, and Radiohead and Belly will play the Ballroom at 8 p.m. Saturday. Student prices for tickets are $16 for Primus and $13 for Radiohead and Belly. They can be purchased from the Carl Sandburg Ticket Booth in the Holmes Student Center and at Appletree Records, 1022 W. Lincoln Hwy.

Tickets also will go on sale at 9 a.m. Saturday for the Nov. 20 Cypress Hill and Rage Against the Machine concert at the Chick Evans Field House. Tickets will cost $16 for students and $20 for non-students. For further information about CAB events call 753-1580.