Project focuses on Greek culture

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | George Kourvetaris, professor of sociology, will present “Contributions of Ancient Greece to Modern Music,” the fourth part of his Paideia Project, this Sunday.

The Paideia Project is a nonprofit organization founded in 2002 by Kourvetaris. The project produces videos and DVDs on the “assimilation of various aspects of Greek culture.”

“‘Paideia’ is a Greek word meaning ‘learning and education,'” Kourvetaris said.

The Paideia Project is a valuable educational project that shows others how much of the origin and history of modern and Western culture are directly derived from the contributions of ancient Greece, Tony Kidonakis, an NIU alumnus, said.

“As a young Greek-American, I am especially proud to be able to contribute my talents to the program,” he said. “I thank Professor Kourvetaris for his wisdom and passion in sharing the amazing Greek legacy.”

Music for each of the videos is composed by Kidonakis, band director of Downers Grove Grade School Dist. 58. He wrote 31 musical tracks and sound clips for the fourth video, ranging from approximately 10 seconds to two minutes in length, Kidonakis said. He began working on the project with Kourvetaris in 2000-2001, his senior year at NIU.

The film was produced by Kourvetaris and written by professors from Cornell and the University of California-San Diego, with about $15,000 in donations. The videos concentrate on ancient Greece, known as the Golden Age of Pericles, Kourvetaris said. The fourth video focuses on the instruments used in ancient Greece and their effects on the music of today, Kourvetaris said.

The first video of the project was presented in 2003, the second in 2004 and the third in 2005.

The fourth dinner and reception of the Paideia Project will be Sunday at 6 p.m. at the Fountain Blue Banquets and Conference Center, 2300 S. Mannheim Road in Des Plaines.

The event is open to all and will include the presentation of the fourth video, harp music by NIU alumna Nichole Young, an open bar and dinner. After dinner, the Georgakopoulos Orchestra from Chicago will perform a short set of old Greek folk music. Tickets are $60 each for general admission, $35 for student tickets and $45 for faculty tickets. To purchase tickets or for more information, contact George Kourvetaris at 847-296-6223, or [email protected].

Michelle Gibbons is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.