Physical trainers teach healthy fitness habits

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | Bethany Bohling became a physical trainer at Recreation Services about two years ago, and since then, has worked with about 15 students.

Bohling, a Recreation Services fitness graduate assistant and exercise physiology major, said she advises students to be as active as possible on a daily basis, even if it entails just walking to class instead of taking the bus.

“Since we spend so much time just being sedentary sitting in class or studying, just try to be active in the free time that you have,” Bohling said.

Bohling said she speaks with each client about his or her individual goals before developing a workout program.

Personal trainers teach the benefits of sticking to an exercise plan, teach proper exercise techniques and encourage the development of healthy habits, said Becky Lewis, Recreation Services assistant director of fitness.

The Personal Training Program, which has been available at the Rec center since 1996, currently employs five personal trainers, Lewis said. Personal trainers are students with an interest in working in the fitness industry and who are working on degrees in exercise physiology or have a national personal training certification or both, she said.

Paid on an hourly rate, physical trainers’ clients include students, faculty, staff and community members, and training sessions are generally one hour long. Students can choose from one or more of the five training options offered, which vary in price. One fitness package includes three sessions and costs $90 for students or $110 for faculty, staff and members of the community.

“A trainer can assist someone with getting their health on the right track,” Lewis said. “They also help with motivation, which is sometimes the missing link for people trying to incorporate exercise and healthy eating into their life on their own.”

Marie Kiney, a sophomore chemistry major, said she likes going to the Rec center but prefers to learn exercise techniques from books on fitness.

“I figure that I can teach myself anything that [a personal trainer] could teach me at a much lower cost,” Kiney said.

Noey Guerra, a DeKalb resident and senior airman in the Air Force uses the Rec center four days a week. Guerra said he hired a physical trainer when he reached a plateau when weight lifting.

“He showed me different workout techniques, and I got the benefits I wanted,” Guerra said.

For more information on the Physical Training Program, call Recreational Services at 815-753-0231, or go to www.stuaff.niu.edu/rs/personaltrain.shtml.