Young adults least likely to vote, census says

By Ryan Strong

DeKALB | People between 18 and 24 are the least likely to vote of any age group. According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s Web site, only 46.7 percent voted in the 2004 presidential election.

According the U.S. Census Bureau, 63.8 percent of all Americans voted in 2004. Of that percent, the age group with the highest percentage of voters was people older than 65.

Political science professor Gregory Schmidt said young people generally have less interest in politics.

“They are more concerned with things such as getting an education, finding a mate and generally just having fun,” he said. “For the most part, people come to the polls if they think the outcome will affect their lives. Young people tend to think the outcome of the election will not affect their lives.”

Varying factors, including education, income, race and marital status helped determine voter turnout.

“People who are college graduates are more likely to vote than high school dropouts,” Schmidt said.

Furthermore, Schmidt said married people are more likely to vote than single people. Another variable influencing voter statistics is income.

“People with more money are more likely to vote,” he said.

Although statistics say most young people do not vote, this is not true for everyone.

“I am very politically active,” said Robert Batey, a junior political science major who also is a student association speaker. “I’m extremely interested in the democratic process.”

Batey thinks the primary reason young people don’t vote is because they aren’t well informed.

“We should inform more people and tell them why they should vote,” he said. “I think people don’t care. They think their vote doesn’t matter. It does, and they should go out and vote.”

Associate sociology instructor John King agreed.

“Young people and people with lower incomes tend to be disenchanted and cynical toward elections in general,” he said. “The more cynical they are, the less likely they are to vote.”

King’s prediction rings true with students like junior journalism major Rob Leadaman.

“I’m disenchanted with the government and how it is run as an oligarchy. I’m basically voting for the same person no matter what,” Leadaman said.

Ryan Strong is a City Reporter for the Northern Star.