SA should fund

The decision of the Student Association not to fund the flood cleanup effort sponsored by the Wesley Foundation, and your support of that decision, is at best shortsighted. While it is understandable that the SA will not fund a religious teaching activity, such as Arthur Shimkus’ Yoga class, it is hard to understand why they will not support a public service activity.

Will the Wesley Foundation, and its cosponsor, the Student Volunteer Corps, be seeking converts? Will they be engaging in the teaching of religion? Further, does this mean that, in the name of “separation of church and state,” the SA and the Star will now urge the university to change the name of the commons and remove the statue of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? This man after all was an ordained Christian minister. His life and his actions were clearly motivated by his religious faith.

The idea of “separation of church and state” is grossly misunderstood. Supporting the work of students who voluntarily seek to do good, regardless of their organization or even their motivation, cannot be construed as establishing a religion.

While it may be too late to support the flood cleanup, the SA should reconsider these matters as other groups seek funding for their activities.

Chris Lee-Thompson

Lutheran Campus Ministry