Professor given state CPA award

By Rachel Becknell

An NIU accounting professor has been selected as the 1993 Outstanding Educator by the Illinois Certified Public (CPA) Accountant Society.

Richard Baker is the third NIU accounting faculty member to be given the award since 1988. Baker joins fellow accounting staff Don Kieso and Pat Delaney, who are previous recipients of this award.

According to Baker, the award provides recognition for NIU throughout the state of Illinois. All Illinois CPAs belong to the Illinois CPA Society.

When asked what he thought the award would do for NIU, Baker said the multiple awards given to the accounting department gives NIU recognition by professionals.

He also said it was evidence, “that people across the state recognize the work we’re doing here.”

This is not the first recognition of Baker’s abilities. NIU accounting students also have voted him top educator four times.

At NIU in 1986 and 1987, MBA students gave Baker the Golden Apple teaching award. Baker also won the 1992 NIU Presidential Teaching Award.

Fellow accounting professor and winner of the 1988 Outstanding Educator award from the Illinois CPA Society Don Kieso, had nothing but praise for Baker’s teaching abilities.

“(Baker) knows what to teach and how to teach it,” he said. “His class presentation is very instructive, and entertaining as well.”

When asked how he felt about receiving the CPA society’s award, Baker said he felt honored.

“It is an honor because this is given by the practitioners in our field. It comes from people who are doing the things we’re preparing people to do,” Baker said.

Commenting on Baker’s selection, Kieso said “It won’t be the last one (award Baker will win),” adding Baker was, “most deserving” of the award.

NIU has received more awards for accounting than any other university in Illinois.

Baker said he was proud to receive the award, but felt what students get out of the program was more important.

“I’m really proud. I decided to dedicate my energies to teaching, but it’s what the students receive through our curricula that’s important,” Baker said.

“It is an honor because this is given by the practitioners in our field. It comes from people who are doing the things we’re preparing people to do.” Richard Baker

NIU accounting professor