Grants Approved

By Carlene Eck

DeKALB | Two grants aimed at encouraging students to take more challenging high school classes and to pursue degrees in science, math and critical foreign language were signed into effect this year.

The Academic Competitiveness Grant and the National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant were formed by the Higher Education Reconciliation Act of 2005 and were signed into effect by President Bush in February 2006.

The ACG encourages students in high school to take more challenging courses in preparation for college, while the National SMART Grant encourages college students to pursue a degree in science, math, engineering and technology to meet the demands of a competitive global market.

To be eligible for the ACG, high school students must meet specific requirements, such as taking and passing at least two advanced placement courses, earning an advanced honors diploma and meeting the requirements of the State Scholars Initiative or course requirements similar to the State Scholars Initiative.

The ACG awards students in their first year of a four- or two-year degree program up to $750 and up to $1,300 in years following.

The National SMART Grant is awarded to undergraduates in their third or fourth year of study. The award can be up to $4,000 for students who meet the requirements set by the government.

The goal of the programs is to guarantee the United States’ economic competitiveness in the global economy, said Linda Dersch, the senior assistant director of the student financial aid office.

NIU has awarded about 500 ACG’s and 65 National SMART Grants this year, Dersch said.

The grant programs are estimated to provide a total of $790 million in the 2006-2007 school year and $4.5 billion over the next five years to students in the U.S.

Although the intent of the grant program is to encourage academia in a highly competitive nature to high school and college students, data for the success of the program is not yet available because reports of expenditures will not be reported to the U.S. Department of Education until December, Dersch said.

“The emphasis of the program is to encourage students to major in these critical areas,” Dersch said. “I think it will take some time for them to determine if it has truly made a difference since the program is just brand new.”

Dersch also said the financial aid office is still determining which NIU students are eligible for the grants.

Carlene Eck is a City Reporter for the Northern Star.