LGBC to combine expo, open house

By Jen Bland

This afternoon students will have an opportunity to learn more about yet another campus organization when NIU’s Lesbian Gay Bisexual Coalition (LGBC) has its open house.

The open house is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. this afternoon in room 256A of the Holmes Student Center.

The open house is in conjunction with the organizational expo being held at the student center and King Memorial Commons from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

As part of the expo, the LGBC will have a booth set up where students can pick up information about the purpose of the organization and what activities it sponsors.

Brian Turkaly, co-president of LGBC, said he hopes this open house will alert the campus to the various services offered by the LGBC outside of social activities.

“We offer speakers to faculty members who want them to speak at their class,” he said. “Students can also come to our office and ask questions if they’re doing papers and we offer support to students who are just coming out.”

Turkaly said because the office is in such a “hidden” location people feel more comfortable going there to talk.

Turkaly would like to stress the LGBC is not just for lesbians, gays and bisexuals. “We have a library and subscriptions to many magazines,” he added.

This is the first time the group has attempted to have the open house at the beginning of the year. Turkaly said usually the open house is held during Lesbian Gay Bisexual Week.

“This is our fifth year having an open house, but the first time we’ve tried to have it at the beginning of the year,” Turkaly said. “It’s usually bigger during awareness week.”