Greek Row bumps up weekend security

By Michelle Gilbert and Collin Quick

A six-week trial run involving security patrol on Greek Row begins today.

The plan, aimed to combat potential incidents, encompasses two security guards patrolling the area each weekend until April 29. Patrol times are 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. from Thursday through Saturday.

“They are there for security of students, not to bust underage drinking,” said Daniel Leonard, a sophomore business administration major.

They are the middle men to benefit the students, Leonard said.

“It’s more for security and protection of the students and guests that go onto Greek Row,” said Michael Orescanin, a sophomore political science major.

Leonard and Orescanin, both members of Sigma Phi Epsilon, spearheaded the movement and worked with Nolan Davis, assistant to the vice president of Student Affairs, to get the guards on Greek Row.

The guards will come from Security Professionals of Illinois, Inc., a security firm based out of Loves Park.

“The guards are trained using a system called Monadnock, which involves a variety of defensive tactics involving the baton, handcuffing, pressure points and take downs,” said Juan Reyes, president and CEO of Security Professionals of Illinois, Inc.

Reyes said the guards are trained in both CPR and first aid, and if someone needs medical help an ambulance can be called.

“It’s something that needed to be done,” Orescanin said. “The security guards’ presence on Greek Row will be very well known.”

The two officers will patrol the Greek Row area separately and be in radio contact with one another throughout the course of the night.

If police need to be called, they will contact the DeKalb Police Department first.

“This is something we’ve been trying to do with the Student Association for a while now,” Orescanin said.

Reyes said he was in talks with NIU administrators for three to four months before he was awarded the contract.

“[We] wanted a way to enhance security on Greek Row,” said DuJuan Smith, a senior sociology major and SA president. “Not overwhelming, but a feeling of safety nonetheless.”

Funding to pay for this service comes from the Executive Allocations Fund for the SA, money set aside for the SA president’s executive decisions and the Campus Security Fund for the security of major events on campus. The exact cost was not available at press time.

“It’s something that we thought was necessary, and an officer patrolling would not be invading people’s privacy,” Smith said. “[We] just want to make sure that everyone and everything is safe. We’ll see how everything goes with officers present on Greek Row.”

Smith said the SA plans to sit down with members of the Greek community after the initial six weeks and discuss the topic of whether to continue using the security service.