New vending service elicits variety of student response

By Chris Nelson

Some love it, some hate it.

The new vending service here at NIU has elicited strong opinions from those who regularly use the machines.

A survey of such people on Wednesday showed that feelings about the new service fit into one of two categories: good and bad.

“I hate it,” said Dave Schmidt, senior political science major. “The selection and the prices of the new vendor make me wish the old service was still here.”

Echoing Schmidt’s comments was senior communications major Sean Moran. “The prices have in fact gone up on some of the items,” Moran said.

“The selection has changed as well. I don’t really like a lot of the choices offered,” Moran added.

Other students expressing a dislike for the new vendor complained about the loss of a particular brand to a lack of adequate supply for the machines.

On the other hand, many students welcomed the new products and services offered by Service America, not to mention the new machines the company has recently installed.

“I like them,” said senior OMIS major Mike Dokich, referring to the modern food and drink dispensers.

Many people are impressed with the new selections offered, such as the cappuccino and ice cream bars.

“The machines provide a lot more variety,” said senior speech path/audiology major Andrea Brongiel.

While this new vending situation has benefited many, it has posed a real challenge to both Service America and the university.

According to Judd Baker, who oversees vending operations for NIU, the university wanted to retain Canteen, the vending service it had employed for more than 20 years.

However, Canteen requested price increases on every item except gum. Baker said the university rejected the request, and Canteen subsequently decided not to sustain its relationship with NIU beyond the expiration date of its contract, which was in effect through August 31, 1993.

Bids were accepted by NIU as early as July in anticipation of Canteen leaving. Ultimately, the bid by Service America was accepted.

“We put them (Service America) in a bad situation,” Baker said. “We asked them to put in 200 machines, stock complete inventories … all while school was in session. I think they’re doing a great job.”

Baker said the terms of the Canteen contract all but forced the transition to take place during the fall session. To avoid having this situation occur again, the Service America contract is set to expire, should extension options not be invoked, on May 31, 1994.

Baker also said he is pleased with the amount of tolerance students and faculty have shown as Service America works through its growing pains.

“Service America does not know the patterns of the campus yet,” Baker said.

Baker related an incident in Wirtz Hall as evidence of the vendor’s learning experience.

“The first week, I received a call saying that the vending machines in Wirtz were completely empty,” Baker said.

“I went over to inspect them, and they were all literally empty. I then called Service America, and they immediately began restocking Wirtz every day instead of every two days.

“They’re very service-oriented. I’m pleased with their efforts,” he said.

Baker said he hopes the situation will stabilize within the next month as the vendor learns the likes and dislikes of the campus.

Until then, Baker said he hopes that staff and students remain as supportive and responsive as they have been these first few weeks.

“It (the vending situation) is not a ‘piddly’ concern,” Baker said. “Call us with problems or concerns regarding the service. If we don’t know about it, we can’t fix it.”

“Call us with problems or concerns regarding the service. If we don’t know about it, we can’t fix it.”

Judd Baker

NIU vending operations overseer