NIU makes it easy to see the big game

By Steve Brown

For broke NIU students, there is still a way to get to Thursday’s MAC Championship game against Akron that’s easy on the bank roll.

Administrators have set up transportation to the NIU football team’s first MAC Championship game at 6:30 p.m. CDT Thursday at Ford Field in Detroit.

The first 300 students who buy a $5 ticket will receive free round-trip bus transportation, a box lunch and a T-shirt commemorating NIU’s MAC West Division title.

Huskie fans who aren’t enrolled at NIU can still purchase the Huskie Fan bus package for $132. This package covers the cost of the ticket, snacks on the bus and a Huskie pregame reception.

The six fan buses will leave the Convocation Center at 8 a.m. Thursday. Fans can also get the ticket and reception ticket and skip the bus ride.

Fans who opt not to take the bus can expect a five-and-a-half to seven-hour car ride.

Postgame celebration

If the Huskies win, a post-game celebration will be held in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room until midnight. The event will feature a disc jockey, snacks and beverages. The first 300 students to arrive at the event will receive a free T-shirt. For more information about tickets and the postgame celebration, call the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development at 753-1421.

Directions from DeKalb

Take Interstate 88 east to I-294 south (toward Indiana); merge onto I-94 east and follow it all the way southbound I-75 in Detroit. Exit at I-375 to Madison Avenue and turn right at the first light on St. Antoine Street. The MAC Championship is held at Ford Field, which is a block down and on the left at 2000 Brush St.

Several lots are available for parking and can be viewed at www.fordfield.com.

Weather

Though fans will be able to enjoy the comfortable temperature of Ford Field’s domed environment, fans can expect a high outdoor temperature of 38 with a 60-percent chance of evening snow showers.

For those staying home

Huskie fans who can’t make the MAC Championship game can watch ESPN’s broadcast of the matchup or listen live through NS*Radio or WSCR AM-670 The Score.

Several DeKalb bars are also hosting viewing parties for the Akron-NIU matchup, and there will be a viewing party in the HSC’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.