Regular sleep schedule crucial for students

By Tara Snowden

Being sick is never a good thing; sneezing, coughing and sore throats are a pain no matter the situation. For some college students, however, being sick while away from home makes the situation even worse.

Mom seemed to know every trick in the book to make sure their kids were better as soon as possible. That is not the case when those kids leave for college. Being away from home and living among thousands of other students in the residence halls does not make the healing process easier.

According to NIU Health Enhancement, college students need, on average, seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Based on the National College Health Assessment conducted in 2002, 60 percent of college students reported getting enough sleep to feel rested only three days a week. This lack of sleep can cause stress and anxiety. When students are stressed and tired, the risk of getting sick increases.

“It’s very important for students to develop a regular sleeping schedule, as difficult as that may be,” said Mary Strohm, health educator at Health Enhancement. “A regular schedule helps the body to get on a sleep cycle, making it easier for students to feel rested in the

morning.”

Students say there often is not enough time to sleep the recommended amount because they have other things going on, such as classes and studying.

“It’s hard to manage spending time with friends, having fun, doing homework and sleeping,” said Alison Liska, a freshman math education major. “There’s always something going on that you don’t want to miss.”

Sleep is not the only thing that can lead to being unhealthy while at college. Other factors, such as not washing your hands after using the bathroom and hanging out with other students who are sick, can increase one’s risk.

“One of the greatest measures that students can take in preventing getting sick is washing their hands frequently,” Strohm said. “Also, avoiding contact with other students and roommates that are sick will help prevent the spread of the cold and flu virus.”

Living in the residence halls has many students worried they won’t be able to survive the flu and cold season without getting sick.

“It’s hard because I don’t spend as much time eating healthy or trying to stay healthy; there just isn’t enough time,” said James Sullivan, a freshman mechanical engineering major. “I’m too busy with other things like studying and classes.”

Strohm recommends students do the best they can to prevent getting sick by eating a balanced diet and exercising on a regular basis.

“I recommend eating things that help build a strong immune system, such as fruits and vegetables and whole grains,” Strohm said. “Regular exercise and trying to maintain stress are helpful as well.”

Students who are sick are advised to eat foods that contain high levels of vitamin C, which will reduce the severity of cold symptoms. Students who feel they are in need of medical attention should contact University Health Services to make an appointment.