Speaking out on a smoking issue

By Dave Sorrell

Smoking in all restaurants and bars soon may be extinct in DeKalb.

If an ordinance were to pass the DeKalb City Council, smoking in public establishments may be a thing of the past.

Having to clear through the smoke, the Northern Star went out and asked both smokers and non-smokers this question:

Are you for or against a smoking ban in DeKalb?

“I’m against it because it will take away from the businesses and will force people to go to Sycamore.”

Chris Chan, sophomore OMIS major.

“I’m for the ban. Sure, the person has a right to smoke, but it shouldn’t have to affect my health. I choose not to smoke, but I shouldn’t have to deal with second-hand smoke.”

Jeanine Menolascino, junior history major.

“I’m for the ban definitely. Smoking is a selfish habit and it affects everyone, including [the smokers]. It’s good that they are coming up with the ban.”

Demond Walker, senior marketing major.

“I’m for it. If I didn’t smoke, I wouldn’t want to breathe it [when eating]. I’m against the ban in bars because it’s [already] a social environment.”

Carly Scher, freshman art major.

“I am against it because other buildings are declared non-smoking. If this is passed, where will people go to smoke?”

Ammor Alamgir, sophomore engineering major.

“I’m for the ban because I hate smoking. I hate being around and smelling the smoke, and I don’t want lung cancer. But I guess people can make their own decisions.”

Chrissy Altergott, junior elementary education major.

“I’m definitely against it because I smoke. I don’t want to go outside and smoke outside. Besides, smoking is a good way to meet people.”

Sean Crawford, freshman fine arts major.

“I’m for it because I don’t smoke. Second-hand smoke is worse.”

Crystal Edwards, senior FCNS major.