Everyone can give a little

By Joseph Baskerville

Almost two weeks have passed since the horrific Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast.

The entire nation mourns as the waters start to recede and unveil the carnage of this incredible storm.

Many have volunteered to help, but there is still a monumental amount of work to be done.

Unfortunately, there are still some who refuse to lift a finger to help the numerous amount of people forced to pick up the pieces of their lives. I’m not talking about the government. I’m talking about the students of NIU.

I was appalled at the people who gave absolutely nothing last week to the NIU Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.

How hard is it to give up $2? How tough is it to give up some change for evacuees who can’t even go back to their homes once their city returns to some sense of normalcy?

Students seem to think it’s someone else’s job to help.

That’s partially true, but those people dropped the ball. Isn’t the evidence clear on television?

It’s ironic that the same people who go out of their way to attack the government for sitting on their butts are the same ones who say “No, thanks” when asked to give money.

According to a Reuters report on MSNBC.com, “the American Red Cross said that it needs 40,000 additional volunteers in the next few weeks to replace worn-out relief workers helping Hurricane Katrina victims.”

The Associated Press reported on Saturday that “costs are certain to climb to $200 billion in the coming weeks.”

Everyone at this point needs to help because of the damage Katrina has caused – directly and indirectly.

There are some good things to report from this tragedy though. According to the American Red Cross’s Web site, “As of September 9, 2005, [The Red Cross] has received $536 million in gifts and pledges for the hurricane relief effort, of which an estimated $282.5 million has been received on line.”

There were students and faculty who honestly gave all they could to contribute to the fund, with some giving much more than what was asked. Some are giving money to the Red Cross and several other relief funds.

However, there are those who decided last week they would rather buy a pop, a pack of cigarettes, or any other unnecessary item when there are still people trapped in their own homes.

There are still numerous people who are missing, and many who are grieving the loss of loved ones.

A column by Gene Wojciechowski, an ESPN Magazine columnist, reported freshman Auburn defensive end Alonzo Horton lost at least three relatives – including two of his younger brothers. His father is missing, and the Horton family has lost its New Orleans home.

Could you imagine losing most of your immediate family and home, all while attending an out-of-state school in your freshman year?

It will be a long time before the areas hit hardest by Katrina recover. It will take even longer for the families affected the worst by this disaster to get back on their feet – both emotionally and financially.

This nation will pull through this disaster similarly to the way we recovered from 9/11, but why stand to the side and watch other people strain themselves physically and mentally to aid victims without doing something to help?

Most people this coming weekend will debate whether to go home or stay for the first home game of NIU’s football team.

Maybe we all should just think about the people who may not have the option of going back home for quite some time.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.