State denies funds for high-school seniors

By Michelle gibbons

Illinois high-school seniors graduating in the top 5 percent of their class were denied $1,000 in Illinois Student Assistance Commission merit-based scholarships this year.

Last year, the $5.4 million program provided 5,400 Top 10 students attending Illinois schools with $1,000 in scholarships, said Carol Knowles, spokeswoman for State Comptroller Daniel Hynes’ office. This year, approximately 6,300 students were eligible, but were denied scholarships due to state budget cuts.

The ISAC budget was approved by the Illinois General Assembly in June 2005, said Alan Henry, communications director for Hynes’ office.

ISAC asked the assembly for more money for its need-based Monetary Award Program, but were denied due to restricted state funds, said Lori Reimers, director of government relations for ISAC. ISAC recommended reallocating money from the Merit Recognition Scholarship Program into MAP.

“The purpose was that our need-based grant program has not been able to give out awards to students with lower and middle income to help cover the cost of tuition fees,” Reimers said. “We were falling way behind in making college affordable for students.”

ISAC also reallocated money out of its administrative line to make the changes, Reimers said.

In an effort to restore the merit scholarship program, Hynes will be working with the assembly and the leadership of the Higher Education committees, Knowles said.

The comptroller feels it’s unfair students were promised the money and then denied the $1,000, Knowles said.

“After the comptroller made his statement, we have received phone calls from parents and students saying that they appreciate his efforts,” Knowles said. “They said it is unfair and they do need the money. One thousand dollars can be a big difference in somebody’s financing package.”

However, there are other outside scholarships students can apply for such as the University Scholar Award from NIU, said Linda Dersch, senior assistant director for financial aid.

Though the merit-based program did not receive funding for this year, the program has not been eliminated but is on hold, Reimers said. If the assembly decides to put money into the program, it may continue in the future.