Attacks resonate with students abroad

By Collin Quick

The bombing attacks in London last Thursday, which left 52 people dead and more than 700 wounded, struck close to home for NIU students studying abroad this summer.

“My first reaction is exactly what you’d expect – shock, sadness and worry about my friends in London,” said Alexandra Bennett, an assistant professor of English who is currently teaching in Oxford, England as part of NIU’s Study Abroad Program.

The explosions hit three subway stations and a double-decker bus and shut down the mass transit system in London.

Bennett said Oxford, which is located about an hour from London, has not undergone any security changes.

By the time the news of the attacks reached Oxford, classes were out for the weekend, so class times were not affected.

“Sometimes the classes take field trips, but we never know what their mode of transportation will be,” said Jan VanderMeer, administrative secretary for the English department. “Our first thoughts were of the students and faculty.”

As soon as they found out what happened, the NIU Study Abroad office began receiving phone calls and gathering emergency contact information of the students who were overseas.

“We had some very tense hours until we heard from our groups,” said Anne Seitzinger, director of the Study Abroad office.

NIU has about 200 students abroad in countries like France, Spain, Ireland and England.

“The international programs at NIU provide learning experiences unlike any other,” Bennett said. “Unfortunately, this tragedy has added another dimension to the experience this year.”

NIU faculty are quick to respond when something of this caliber happens and students are involved.

“Events like this affect both international students and their families,” said Sandy Janker, international student adviser. “We try to be there and help them as much as possible.”

This is not the first time NIU has dealt with students being overseas when tragedy strikes. In March 2004 students were in Madrid, Spain when train bombings occurred, and again in December when a tsunami hit Southeast Asia.

“We always knew something like this could happen and we’re amazed that it did,” Seitzinger said.

Despite the tragic events, students still are maintaining a normal life.

“The students are still excited about being here, interested in exploring the local area and involved in their classes,” Bennett said.