Survival advice guides freshmen

By Michelle Gibbons

From academics to socializing, this is the ultimate guide to surviving freshman year at NIU.

Academics

Studying and actually doing your assignments is important. Remember, grades are more important than partying, said Caleb Yeaton, a freshman English major.

“Unlike high school, you actually have to pay for classes,” he said. “If you fail a course and wind up retaking it, you have just wasted about $300.”

Take advantage of office hours for teachers, especially when you have a big paper due, Yeaton said.

Try to get your general education courses out of the way early in the year, especially lecture-hall classes, Yeaton said.

Other advice is to do your readings from the textbook.

Freshman nursing major Stefanie Woodfall says to “pace yourself and study a week ahead of time if you know you are going to be busy around test time.”

Taking time to look over notes often helps, Woodfall said.

“I make homework my first priority; if I don’t get homework done, I don’t go out,” she said. “Also, reading in the book and highlighting helps a lot.”

Woodfall said she mostly studies in the library or in her room when it is quiet.

Getting Involved

Being sociable and getting involved is a good way to fit in.

“Don’t be shy,” said Will Hyde, a freshman business management major. “Be outgoing for everyone to get to know you better and make your experience a fun one.”

As far as getting involved, Woodfall said to “not spend too much time in the dorm” and to get involved with different organizations that interest you.

Both Woodfall and Hyde said joining a fraternity or sorority is also a way to meet new people.

Going to parties, being friendly in your classes and joining different organizations are some ways to get involved, Hyde said.

Residence Hall Life

“Be ready for a big change,” Hyde said. “When you move in with a roommate, it’s not the same as moving in with a brother or sister. Be prepared to share everything.”

Talking to your roommate a lot helps.

“Not communicating with them causes a lot of damage,” Woodfall said. She also said to try to get to know many people on your floor.

Only you know what atmosphere is right for you.

“Choose the best environment for you to be able to get your work done and still enjoy your experience,” Hyde said.

Money

As a college student, buying items such as books, notebooks, folders and many other supplies is a must, Yeaton said. Shopping at Wal-Mart for supplies is a good idea, said Racheal DeMoss, a freshman nutrition, dietetics and hospitality administration major.

Also, shopping at places like Deals or retail chains and not buying name brands is another way to save cash, Yeaton said.

“Get a [Village Commons Bookstore] Card and use it as much as possible,” Hyde said. “It helps with the delivery food and other places that you want to go and eat or shop.”

Food

Hyde and DeMoss said some of their favorite places to eat around campus are Subway, Shelley’s, Burritoville, Tom and Jerry’s, Lukulo’s, Pagaliai’s Pizza and McDonald’s.

In dining halls, Stevenson is best known for its variety, while Douglas is known for the Dog Pound Deli, Hyde said.

DeMoss said Taco Bell is probably the cheapest place to eat, while Hyde said McDonald’s has good deals.

Bus Information

There are two main bus routes – the Route 4 Campus Circle Left and Campus Circle Right. If you live in the residence halls, usually you would want to take the Circle Right for classes that are the closest to you, Hyde said.

For classes in buildings such as the Psychology and Computer Science Building, Faraday, Davis, Barsema, the Visual Arts Building or the Music Building, you may want to take the Circle Left, he said.

Hyde said the longest bus route he’s taken has been 20 minutes. He advises to “know your schedule and see what you need to do to get to classes.”

Personally, Hyde says he likes to walk to class when the weather is nice.

Miscellaneous Information

The “Freshman 15” is no excuse to be unhealthy.

“It is very possible to eat healthy and exercise on campus,” Woodfall said. “There are lots of ways to stay fit.”

As for parties, Woodfall said it is a good idea to go in a group.

“Go to classes, make sure you keep up the grades, get involved with whatever interests you, get to know people around campus and don’t go home all the time,” Hyde said.