Groups encourage participation

By Aaron Drey

New NIU students have a variety of ways to become active on campus.

There are more than 200 recognized student groups on NIU’s campus. The types of groups include academic, athletic, community service, cultural, political, religious, Greek organizations and others. The groups allow students to meet new people and build a support system away from home.

One of the most popular organizations on campus is the Residence Hall Association. The RHA serves as the governing body for NIU’s residence halls. The RHA lets new students who live in the residence halls help make decisions about what happens in the halls. The RHA monitors student life in the residence halls and tries to improve residence hall life. NIU’s RHA has been the best residence hall association in Illinois for the last four years, said Keith Kruchten, a senior marketing major and RHA president.

“RHA lets [students] get involved right away with an organization that impacts their own life and the lives of those they live with,” Kruchten said.

The RHA has a voice concerning room and board rates and also works on physical improvements for the residence halls, Kruchten added. The RHA made the residence halls smoke-free during the 2000-01 school year.

The RHA normally has 30 to 35 new students who serve as elected officials each year. There are also RHA positions for each floor. Kruchten said the RHA helps students develop as well as make a difference in residence hall life.

“[The RHA] is an excellent leadership development opportunity,” Kruchten said.

The Student Association is the organization that recognizes student groups. The SA provides funding to several groups and services on campus which try to help and improve student life. The SA’s services include the Campus Recreation Center, Campus Child Care and the Huskie Bus Line.

New NIU students also have opportunities to join academic groups, intramural sports clubs and fraternities or sororities.

The academic groups are offered for different academic areas. There are business groups, education groups, health and science groups and others.

Sports clubs offered include bowling, fencing, paintball and rugby. The sports and activities help new students in many ways, said Kacey O’Brien, a physical therapy first-year graduate student and women’s rugby president.

“[New students] meet new people from different backgrounds,” O’Brien said. “Plus, you keep in shape.”