CAB to hold variety of events to bring in spring

By Mary Martin

The event once known as Springfest has returned with a new title: End of Days.

From April 23 to 29, NIU’s Campus Activities Board will be holding a variety of events for students to enjoy on campus. End of Days, a name decided upon at the beginning of this year as part of CAB’s new constitution, will include movie showings, open mic nights and live entertainment.

Arnold Huelva, CAB’s End of Days coordinator, said the battle of the bands, on Saturday this year, is the most popular part of the week. Individual performances, called “Nooners,” from popular acts such as Inspector Owl, Felix Culpa and Sam-I-Am will be given in King Memorial Commons at noon.

“It’s relaxing to take a break from exams and studying and just listen to music,” said Eiffel Santos, a speech language pathology/audiology major who also is on the End of Days committee. “We have a variety – acoustic, rock, a whole bunch of things.”

The End of Days festival is CAB’s way of providing a week of fun before the school year ends. Also included in the festivities will be movie showings for non-traditional students who have children or people who want to see “The Incredibles,” Huelva said.

“As End of Days coordinator, I want to be able to provide entertainment for every kind of genre,” Huelva said. “I want to provide an event for each kind of interest.”

Huelva uses a committee of volunteer students to help decide which acts will be chosen for the festival. Committee membership is open to any interested student who visits the CAB office to inquire.