University to host Filipinos

By Aaron Wiens

Filipino nationals are set to call NIU home during the next few weeks.

The students and adult leaders will be taking part in a program that will introduce them to American institutions that promote tolerance and expose them to the religious and ethnic diversity of the United States.

NIU’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies and International Training Office will lead most of the visitors’ programs. The programs are designed to promote conflict resolution and interethnic and interfaith dialogue.

“The participants were selected through a competitive application process,” said Julie Lamb, outreach coordinator for the Center for Southeast Asian Studies. “They all have outstanding academic credentials and are fluent in English.”

The center is still looking for a few host families to open their homes to the adult participants from April 17 to May 1.

“Last year, the adults stayed in the Holmes Student Center,” said Leslie Shive, volunteer for the Network for Nations. “We would like to find homes for them this time; it really adds to the experience.”

Last year, Shive’s family hosted two of the students who came from the Philippines, she said.

“It was such a good experience for my children,” she said. “They were like brothers after that.”

It is a win-win situation for all the parties involved, she said.

“I do not know who gets the better end of the deal,” she said. “We bonded with these children so fast.”

The most memorable night seems to be the free day the guests get to spend with their host families.

“Last year we had family pot luck night,” said Rebecca High, a DeKalb High School student and host family participant. “All the families getting together, that was very nice.”

Although the time spent with each other lasted only a week, the relationship formed will last a lifetime, she said.

“We still keep in contact with them,” she said. “But they do not have accesses to the Internet like we do, so it is slow.”

Anyone interested in volunteering to become a host family should contact Julie Lamb at 753-1595.