CAB to provide campus events

By Amy Ross

Have some extra time on your hands? Looking to meet some new people? Want to help bring concerts and other activities to NIU? Then joining Campus Activities Board might be for you.

CAB is the largest all student run volunteer organization on campus. It provides activities and entertainment ranging from last year’s Black Crowes concert to the annual Little Siblings Weekend.

According to Phil Knight, CAB public relations coordinator, anyone of any major can join and no experience is necessary. “You can come in here with experience and help us out or come in here with none and let us help you out,” Knight said.

Knight stressed the fact that other organizations charge membership fees, but being a student at NIU automatically qualifies a person for membership in CAB because it is funded by student fees allocated each semester by the Student Association.

CAB has about 150 members who are distributed throughout one or more of 15 different committees they have chosen to be a part of. Some of the committees include Fine Arts, Homecoming, Public Relations and Special Events.

The amount of time put into working on CAB is strictly your own decision. People can put in only a couple hours a week or over 20.

According to Fine Arts Coordinator Dominique Berisford, working for CAB has many benefits. Students can learn how to work with agencies, promote events, make budgets and organize committees. “The main benefit is that you learn time management,” Berisford said.

Knight said, “The vast majority of students who start CAB stay with it all the way until they graduate.”

Knight feels this could be due in part not only to the vast number of skills students learn through CAB, but also because of the laid back atmosphere and the closeness of its members. “It’s like a family,” he added.

Those interested in joining CAB, can meet with representatives at the Back to School Fair in August and the Organizational Expo in early September. Also, anyone interested can stop by the Cab office, which is located in the basement of the Holmes Student Center or call 753-1580.