Polish program not going anywhere

By Rocio Lopez

Despite recent threats of elimination, the Polish language program will still be around next semester.

“It has been rescued,” said Anne Birberick, acting chair for the department of foreign languages and literature. “I am very pleased with the turn of events.”

Because of budget cuts and the inability to support all courses, the Polish language program faced elimination. Only a handful of courses were offered this school year. However, the program received enough funds from NIU to be offered next year.

“I am pretty positive and thankful,” Polish instructor Edyta Klamut said.

The department will offer elementary Polish I and II and an advanced Polish grammar and conversation course named FLST 381.

There will be a Polish business class, which will be open to students with an interest in international business.

A minor in Polish studies is being developed and will hopefully be offered in the near future, Birberick said.

Contrary to what was reported earlier this week, this year’s program was not sponsored by outside firms. However, the program has suffered from budget cuts.

“For it to stay strong in the future, we need assistance from businesses to ensure [there is] no shortage in funding,” Birberick said.

Klamut has been involved in keeping the program at NIU. She has kept in contact with representatives of the Polish business community, and is also the academic adviser for the Polish Student Association.

Klamut believes that NIU is very attractive to Polish-American students because of its proximity to Chicago. She also believes that learning the Polish language is very important in the business world.

“I have had a student who got a job because of the second language,” Klamut said.

The department of foreign languages and literature faced the elimination of the Greek language program last year. Even though the Polish program has enough funds to be offered next year, the future of the program is still unknown.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen beyond [this year]. I am very hopeful, but not sure,” she said.

Students and faculty alike are glad that the program will be returning next semester.

“It’s a happy ending,” Birberick said. “We are thrilled that we can offer it.”

For more information students should contact the department of foreign languages and literature at 753-6443.