Events planned for LGBT month

By Rocio Lopez

An annual NIU celebration for 11 years, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Awareness Month packs a calendar full of diverse events.

Speakers, concerts and parties are all slated to be a part of this month’s programming. The LGBT Resource Center and PRISM are working together to educate NIU students on LGBT issues.

Awareness month has two main goals: to draw attention to LGBT issues and to allow students to socialize in a safe and open environment through social events, said Margie Cook, director of the LGBT Resource Center.

“We want to reach some people who may have never had the opportunity, in a formal way, to gain information on gay issues in an educational setting,” Cook said.

Featured speakers and performers for the month represent a wide variety of topics and talents.

“The calendar reflects something for everyone – social events, music, [academics]. It’s representative of the community,” Cook said.

Edna Johnston from Columbia College in Chicago will be speaking about being a deaf lesbian in her presentation, “Identity of a Deaf Woman: Perceptions and Awareness,” at 7 p.m. Tuesday at DuSable Hall.

A workshop for people entering the workforce will be offered at 7:30 p.m. April 19 at the Campus Life Building. Mark Brostoff, associate director of undergraduate career services at Indiana University, will direct the workshop, called “Gay Lives, Straight Jobs: Sexual Orientation and Career Decision-Making.”

“The workplace can be quite different from the college campus in terms of openness and support,” Brostoff said.

Singer and songwriter Sacha Sacket will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cole Hall.

Cook said she hopes the awareness month will help broaden the perception of LGBT people beyond what is seen on TV.

“At NIU, like anywhere else there is a variety of attitudes and beliefs. Some people are more receptive than others,” she said.

Rachael Schneider, events coordinator for PRISM, said part of PRISM’s outreach program includes transgender issues.

“Not many people understand trans issues. I think this is the biggest outreach [effort] PRISM is doing this month,” she said.

The full calendar of events can be found at www.niu.edu/lgbt/april.htm.