Crunch time nearing for graduation orders

By Mary Martin

Time is running out for students who intend to purchase graduation accessories but have not placed orders.

Jostens, an international special-events company based in Minneapolis, has not reserved a space in the Holmes Student Center since its last visit to campus, but it has ordering materials available there now. Jostens specializes in yearbooks, class rings, graduation products and school photography.

For students who do not have the time or the energy to compare prices on these graduation-related expenses, the NIU Alumni Association will hold a Commencement Kickoff from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. today at the Campus Life Building, Room 100. The kickoff will offer information for graduates and another opportunity to order frames, rings and announcements. Portraits also will be taken.

Online options are extensive, and there are some Web sites, such as www.graduation.com, which will search for graduation-related sites for ordering needs. The site includes links for invitations, rings, diploma frames and announcements.

“I think the Web site would be better,” said Chad Conley, a senior electrical engineering technology major. “The display only has a few options, but the Web site would have the whole stock.”

Graduation portraits are a large part of graduation for those who want to memorialize the end of their college career.

The portrait studio at Wal-Mart offers a package for $6.88, which includes a single pose in multiple sizes and arrangements.

For those who are looking for more creative portraits, private photographers are another option. JH Studio Creations of Genoa offers several moderately priced packages and an opportunity to really personalize the typical graduation portraits.

“I did a senior portrait once for a girl who had a pet rat and wanted it in her picture,” said Kristen Brynteson, owner of JH Studio Creations. “It was fun.”

Her basic package is $60 and includes a head shot only and three sheets of prints.

Brynteson will take portraits either with multiple backdrops or at locations specified by the customer.

“That way you get to express your own personality and likes in your graduation portrait,” Brynteson said.

Brynteson said outside portraits are her favorite because people seem to be more relaxed outside a studio.