Panel to be held to discuss issues woman face in society

By Aaron Drey

Three NIU faculty members will head the “Privilege and Power” discussion at noon on Wednesday in celebration of Women’s National History Month.

Amy Levin, Women’s Studies Program director and English professor; art professor Deborah Smith-Shank; and Sharon Holmes, adult and higher education assistant professor, will discuss privilege and access for women in a higher- education setting.

Self-promotion, self-empowerment and changing trends for women in higher education are issues that will be discussed, said Phinette Maszka, assistant director of mediation and diversity programs.

Smith-Shank said it will be interesting to see how people on campus feel about these issues.

“Hopefully the audience comes away with some good ideas and more questions than answers,” Smith-Shank said. “I hope they develop a commitment to social justice.”

The discussion is informal, Maszka said, with audience members allowed to bring their lunch. The audience is allowed to ask questions throughout the discussion, which should last about an hour, Maszka added.

Maszka said she hopes for a good turnout for the event.

“We encourage professors to allow students to come as part of their syllabus,” Maszka said.

The discussion will be held in the Affirmative Action and Diversity Resources Building, Room 178, located at 1515 W. Lincoln Highway.