Water workouts provide several benefits

By Megan Rodriguez

As the warm weather approaches, students are beginning to find ways to shed access pounds.

Vicky Books, an instructor in the department of kinesiology and physical education, said swimming and water exercise may be a realistic option for many students.

“The properties of water can be very beneficial in terms of exercise,” Books said.

One of the most beneficial properties of swimming, according to Books, is buoyancy. A person standing chest deep in the water bears only 20 percent of their body weight. This provides a relatively safe environment for injury-free exercise participation.

“Swimming as an exercise is less likely to [cause] injuries associated with repetitive weight-bearing exercises like jogging and walking,” Books said. “In addition, a person who has developed an injury in a weight-bearing joint such as the feet, knees, hips or back can quite often exercise pain-free in the water.”

Careese Kearney, a senior journalism major, said she has never tried exercising in water but thinks it would be beneficial.

“I have never tried swim aerobics, but I hear it is good for your muscles because there is less impact on them,” Kearney said.

The benefits of water exercise include cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, flexibility and improved body composition.

Another beneficial property of water is hydrostatic pressure.

“This pressure aids circulation and helps the blood and other fluids move from the lower body back to the heart,” Books said. “This can help decrease any swelling that may be present, especially in the feet and ankles.”

According to Books, the effects of hydrostatic pressure changes heart rate response during exercise. Hydrostatic pressure aids in circulation back to the heart, so the heart doesn’t have to beat as fast to move the blood.

“Water exercising results in heart rates ten to 25 beats per minute less than the same perceived effort on land,” Books said. “When calculating a heart rate for water exercise, a person should subtract 17 beats per minute from their land target heart rate.”

Water exercise classes do not involve swimming. Many of the movements done in land group exercise classes can be adapted for the water, Books said.

“Movements such as jogging, jumping jacks, cross-country skiing and even step bench exercises can be done in the water,” Books said. “Runners who have become injured have found that they can maintain their training status by performing shallow or deep water running.”

Although there are may benefits, water exercise may not be for everyone.

“There are people who cannot tolerate the chlorine and other chemicals that are used to sanitize public pools,” Books said. “Some people also have a fear of being in any depth of water. The department of kinesiology and physical education has classes that can help a person overcome a fear of water.”

Junior nursing major Mary Ann Kelly said taking a water exercise class may be both a social and physical activity.

“I think water aerobics would give students another opportunity to get involved with NIU,” Kelly said.

Books agrees.

“In the classes I teach, most of the students have not had any experience with water exercise other than swimming,” Books said. “I think they are often surprised to find out how much fun water exercise can be. There are so many options for exercises and equipment that can be used in a water exercise class that it can be a great addition to anyone’s exercise program.”