Want to be a Huskie Bus driver?

By Rocio Lopez

Students wishing to drive for the Huskie Bus Line must go through a lengthy process.

Applicants for the position of bus driver must meet certain requirements: they must be at least 21 years old and have a good driving record.

John Roach, safety coordinator for the Huskie Bus Line, said 90 percent of those hired are students. The line experiences a high turnover rate given that students are at least 21 years old and are in their last year of school. An average of 30 to 40 people are hired every year to fill these positions.

Once the student is hired, he or she is required to take a physical, a drug test and is submitted to a criminal background check, as well as a psychological test.

Moving violations are not only exclusive to the initial background check, General Manager Charles Battista said. Any traffic violations incurred while employed as a bus driver constitute grounds for termination. This includes while driving a bus or any other vehicle.

The Huskie Bus Line is a part-time job, giving students enough time to balance school and work. The average load of hours is 18 per week and the pay is $8.50 per hour.

Battista said the bus line is very flexible.

“We have five shifts a day … that way they [drivers] can pick any shift,” she said.

The training portion of the process involves class time and a defensive driving course.

Newly hired drivers must take a test at the Department of Motor Vehicles before taking a test to obtain a commercial driver’s license and pass an air breaks and passenger endorsement test.

The driving records are checked twice a year by the Huskie Bus Line and failure to report any traffic tickets may lead to termination, Battista said.

There are no fees to pay when applying, but the test administered by the DMV does collect a fee.