Raymond garners MAC award again

By Jarrod Rice

Stephanie Raymond logged countless hours on the basketball court all season for the NIU women’s basketball team.

But it didn’t stop there for the sophomore guard. Along with a MAC-high 38.6 minutes per game average, she also spent most of her days playing ball at the Student Recreation Center.

“Stephanie works very hard and plays basketball every day,” said fellow sophomore and roommate Kristin Wiener. “She is so dedicated to basketball and she really loves the game.”

Raymond’s efforts have been recognized by the MAC as well as her teammates. The 5-foot-5 guard was awarded with third team All-MAC honors Monday – a year after being named to the All-MAC freshman team.

This year was the first time the MAC gave out third-team all-conference honors.

Raymond said she was happy about the announcement, but it didn’t make up for the Huskies last-place finish in the MAC West.

The Huskies had high expectations coming into this season but finished 7-21, including a nine-game losing streak.

“I would rather have the team go to Cleveland,” said Raymond, about the host city for the MAC tournament. “It’s always disappointing to see all the other teams move on.”

Raymond also that she could have been even higher on the All-MAC team.

“I was a little disappointed because I was looking at the stat sheet and I thought that I could have been on the second team.”

Individual awards for the MAC will be named on Tuesday including Defensive Player of the Year, which Raymond said she could receive.

“I’m actually hoping that they call my name for Defensive Player of the Year at the banquet,” Raymond said. “That was my main goal individually coming into the season.”

Raymond was eighth in the MAC in scoring with 15.5 points and first in steals with 3.82 per game.