Candidates attend workshop

By Mike Neumann

DeKalb School Board candidates received advice Tuesday night at a school board workshop.

The seven candidates running in the April 5 election for three open board seats listened to current members tell what it is like to serve on the board.

“It is a very rewarding and frustrating experience,” said Suzanne Lambrecht, school board vice-president. “You have to have a thick skin, because you will be blamed for everything that happens in the district.”

Lambrecht has been with the board 12 years, the longest of any member. She is not running for re-election this year.

During the workshop, members told candidates about changes in the way school employees and parents will act.

Lambrecht said it is especially difficult when criticism involves friends. She warned the candidates to be aware of the press as well.

Three board members emphasized a connection to NIU in their statements.

Joyce Lieberman has 15 years of experience in education as a high school teacher. She is currently an associate professor of teaching and learning at NIU.

Michael Welsh has served on the DeKalb Park District Board and on the city council. He attended DeKalb High School and NIU.

M. Cecil Smith is a professor of leadership, educational psychology and foundations at NIU and has worked in education for 20 years.

Other candidates took time to discuss their relationship with the DeKalb community.

Misty Haji-Sheikh has been attending school board meetings for two years and is the PTA president at Clinton Rosette Middle School.

Mike Verbic is a lifelong DeKalb resident and said he sees a lot of opportunities for the district. He has two children in the school system.

Jennifer Hayes said her business experience would be beneficial in getting the community to understand what the district is trying to achieve.

Andy Small is the only incumbent running. He said the board has made steady progress during his term.