SA’s Huskie Highlights runs controversial political ad

By Nick Swedberg

The Student Association magazine Huskie Highlights ran an article with mug shots of two campus political organization leaders next to pictures of animal’s rear ends in place of a dual commentary on higher education.

Instead of the commentary, a full-page advertisement, dubbed the “Milk Ad,” ran depicting Andrew Nelms, College Republicans chairman and SA senate speaker, as well as College Democrats President Donna Dalton next to pictures of a elephant and a donkey, respectively, on milk cartons.

The magazine, whose self-proclaimed purpose is to promote student organizations’ activities, is funded by student fees from the SA.

Highlights’ Editor-in-Chief Katrina Corcoran said she chose to run the ad because of confusion with deadlines and of the content already slated for this month’s issue.

“I had discussed my reservations with the amount of political coverage,” Corcoran said. She ran the ad as a jab at the pair for not meeting deadlines. Both Nelms and Dalton volunteered to submit 1,000 word articles and are not paid for their submission.

“It’s on a voluntary basis,” said SA President Craig Marcus, who has final say on all content. “You get what you can.”

Marcus attempted to change the electronic files on which the magazine is saved and replace the ad with another late Tuesday night.

“I felt it was a disservice to the students,” Marcus said. “They are not part of Huskie Highlights.” He said he had a meeting with Corcoran a month ago where she expressed her concerns over content.

“It’s hard to take a magazine seriously when we print something like that,” Marcus said. He said he thought Corcoran meant the jab in a light-hearted tone and not did not have any malicious intent.

Both Nelms and Dalton said they did not take great offense to the ad, but commented on the unfortunate situations surrounding the deadline and the nature of the ad.

“They kind of took it and ran with it,” Nelms said. He said the idea was going to be shelved for another month before last Friday when he was asked to submit something that day.

“I wasn’t able to get to it in a timely fashion.”

Dalton said she thought that student fees could be used for better content than the ad that ran.

“It’s funny, but at the same time, it’s not exactly professional,” Dalton said. “I think it was kind of poor planning on their part.”

Distribution of the magazine was not held up because it had already been printed and was a “done deal,” Marcus said.

Greek Row stabbing e-mail

Marcus also commented on an e-mail he distributed to members of the Greek community concerning the recent stabbing and media reaction.

He wrote that he was concerned that the Northern Star “is making a big deal about not knowing the details” surrounding a meeting between heads of Greek Chapters and Student Affairs administration.

On Saturday, a local man was stabbed on the Sigma Alpha Epsilon property during a party. All Greek alcohol-related parties were subsequently suspended.

“It does affect everybody, but for the time being, it’s being portrayed as a Greek issue and they should deal with it,” Marcus said. He said he wanted to discourage Greeks from writing in and commenting on the media comments.

The result from the meetings, Marcus hopes, will be an examination of Greek policies and will create a safer environment for everyone on Greek Row. He said he is confident that the Greek leaders will work to resolve the issue.