‘Get Represented’ ticket takes SA losses in stride

By Rasmieyh Abdelnabi

Despite losing some positions by as many as 400 votes in the Student Association executive election, the “Get Represented” ticket remained undaunted at its post-election gathering.

Raoul Gravel, presidential candidate; Jen Suerth, vice presidential candidate; Phil Stroud, treasurer candidate and Jeff Meyer, student trustee candidate, gathered Wednesday night at Gravel’s apartment to reflect on their campaign.

It was a very political race and not enough students voted, Gravel said.

While the “Get Represented” candidates were in class, the candidates on the Smith ticket were out campaigning, he said.

This campaign taught the candidates many lessons.

Meyer, an NIU law student, said he’s been active in student government since 2000.

“I learned not to bite off more than I can chew,” Meyer said.

It is important to be prudent and pick the right fight because sometimes the battle is too costly and more good can be done if a different approach is taken, he said.

Suerth said she wishes the new administration good luck and hopes it will pay closer attention to the students and the climate of the campus.

Meyer was less sure the SA would experience a real change.

“I wish I could carry a lot of optimistic hope, but I have been here long enough to know that nothing is going to change,” Meyer said.

He also said he believes president-elect DuJuan Smith is a good and honest person, but said Smith’s running mates are taking advantage of him.

“He is so trusting of people, and I think that some people have ridden his coattails into office,” he said. “I hope that Smith is able to get the loyalty from his officers that he deserves.”

Sam Jeser, a senior corporate communication major, said students are missing out on the great things the “Get Represented” candidates would have done.

“An injustice has occurred,” Jeser said.

Peter Steele, a graduate student in political science, chose to focus not on the lost election, but the candidates’ futures.

“I believe that even though the outcome was not in their favor, these individuals will succeed beyond college, beyond this election,” he said.