Learning about the vagina experience

By Stephanie Szuda

Performances are at 7 p.m. today, Friday and Saturday in the Cavan Auditorium in Gabel Hall.

The skits are based on monologues written by Eve Ensler, who interviewed more than 200 women and based several of the monologues on these women’s stories, said Bethany White, producer of the play and second-year law student.

The cast of 23 volunteers, which primarily consists of law students, will perform skits of stories as told by their vaginas, White said.

“It’s basically what it’s like to be a woman,” White said.

The play will feature both happy and sad stories about the experiences of women, White said.

“I think it has a really good message. It also facilitates a discussion about gender roles and ideologies,” said Ali Oliver, second-year law student and performer.

Lauren Whalen, treasurer of the Women’s Law Caucus and also a performer in the production, said the goal is to promote awareness of domestic violence and other important women’s issues.

White said males would enjoy the show to get an interesting perspective about what it feels like to be a woman and to support the cause.

White said casting was wrapped up in January and the cast has rehearsed three times. She said many people on the cast have participated in past years and are familiar with their parts.

Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for the general public. Opening night tickets are discounted to $6 for students. There is no limit to the number of tickets a student can reserve and no limit to how many a student can buy at the student discount rate.

To reserve tickets students should e-mail [email protected]. Students should give their name, phone number, the night they wish to attend and how many tickets they would like to reserve. Students can pay for and pick up their tickets the night of the performance. Checks should be made payable to the Women’s Law Caucus. A large group can be given a discounted price at the producer’s discretion. Tickets will also be available at the door.

The play is part of the V-Day global campaign, which raises money to end violence against women and girls. The campaign gives the rights to script with the agreement the performing organization will donate 10 percent of the proceeds to a campaign of V-day’s choice.

White said NIU was the first law school in the nation to receive the rights to this campaign. This is the seventh year it will perform the monologues.

The proceeds will be given to the Women of Iraq campaign. The remaining proceeds will go to HUGS of Rockford, a support group for teenage mothers, and Safe Passage of DeKalb and WAVE of Rockford, which both offer services against domestic violence, White said.

The monologues performed that are sponsored by the Women’s Law Caucus are not affiliated with Women’s History Month, Whalen said. White said the performances have sold out the last few years. The Cavan Auditorium holds 115 people.