How to stay in shape in the winter

By Megan Rodriguez

As the bitter cold weather blows across campus, students at NIU are finding ways to stay healthy during the winter.

Judith Lukaszuk, a professor in the School of Family Consumer and Nutrition Sciences, said winter weather should not limit the physical activity of students.

“Bundle up and go out for a walk, or jog if it is safe to do so,” Lukaszuk said. “You can always opt for the warmer climate and exercise at the [Campus Recreation Center] or other exercise facility with no limitations from the weather.”

Staying fit is important in the winter for students because if they do not keep up with the same exercise level in the winter than the rest of the year, students actually decondition in a matter of weeks, Lukaszuk said.

“This is why sedentary students in the winter feel so horrible when they start back to their normal exercise pattern in the spring,” Lukaszuk said. “Their body is no longer as efficient at getting oxygen to [their] working muscles. Lactic acid builds up and they feel tired during the exercise and for two days following they are likely to have many muscle aches and pains.”

Increasing food intake is not necessary if students are working out less than one hour. However, Lukaszuk recommends drinking a carbohydrate beverage, such as Gatorade, to students who exercise for more than 90 minutes.

“If you don’t refuel with carbohydrates your muscles will run out of energy and cease to contract, thus your exercise pace slows considerably or halts altogether,” Lukaszuk said.

Freshman undecided major Stephanie Hennelly said she tries to exercise frequently in the winter.

“I go to the Rec and exercise,” Hennelly said. “I also do my best to eat healthy.”

Lukaszuk said students typically are not as active in the winter because they don’t like to go outside when it is cold.

Sophomore journalism major Moises Montenegro said he tries to dress appropriately in the winter months.

“I make sure I get a good breakfast, usually fruit and a bagel, and I also dress in layers, usually an undercoat and an overcoat,” Montenegro said. “Sometimes I wear a hat depending on how cold it is.”

When given the option, leave earlier and walk to class, Lukaszuk said. Walking helps burn more calories and should help decrease stress levels.

“It seems so worthless to work so hard all year to become more fit and then lose that edge in the winter when exercise ceases,” Lukaszuk said. “Exercise makes you feel better, helps you keep things in perspective, helps you release stress and is good for your heart and overall well being.”

Eating three meals a day also is important year round, not just in the winter.

“We know that eating breakfast starts your metabolism off for the day and you actually burn more calories throughout the morning when you eat breakfast,” Lukaszuk said. “Eating breakfast also tends to give you more control over what food choices you make the rest of the day.”