Resources available to help find job

By George Niforatos

If you are searching for a job, on or off campus, NIU has many resources available to guide you on that quest.

The university offers many services to help students find jobs including Job Location and Development, the student employment office, major departments, the cooperative education programs and The Northern Star.

Whether students are seeking to work on or off campus, it is likely they will find a job through one of these resources.

Annastasia Walker, coordinator for Job Location and Development, encourages students looking for jobs to give JLD a try.

Walker said JLD is under-utilized by students. “It’s one of the hidden treasures of the NIU campus,” she said.

JLD has more than 600 listings of off-campus jobs throughout Northern Illinois and the rest of the United States.

Amy Madi, a student coordinator for student employment, said there are many jobs available for people willing to work.

Student Employment has a binder filled with numerous on-campus jobs such as food service workers, lab aides, library personnel and clerical assignments.

In addition to regular employment, student employment also offers a work-study program. This federally funded program provides eligible students with the opportunity to help pay for their educational expenses.

For students seeking experience in their majors, an internship could be the answer.

Valuable internship experiences can be located through two NIU sources: major departments and the cooperative education program.

The cooperative education program was set up in 1984 at NIU to help students get a head-start on their careers. Since its establishment, the co-op has helped more than 5,000 students find professional jobs related to their majors.

Currently, the co-op has more than 1,700 listings for off and on-campus jobs. Job listings in the co-op office are classified numerically within major colleges: Business, Education, Engineering, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Professional Studies and Visual and Performing Arts.

In many cases, students can earn academic credit for co-op experiences related to their majors.

Douglas Davis, director of co-op, said 40 percent of students referred by the co-op are hired. He also said the average pay rate for a job found through the co-op is $7 per hour.

The Northern Star also prints many job listings in its classified section. The classified section has numerous listings for both on and off campus employment.

If a job cannot be found through any of these resources, students are encouraged to conduct a self-directed search.

Many functional areas on campus hire countless students each year. These areas include University Food Services, Founders Memorial Library and the Office of Campus Recreation.

JLD and student employment are both located in room 245 of Swen Parson Hall and the co-op can be found in room 232 of the Holmes Student Center. Major departments phone numbers can be found by calling University Information at 753-1000.