SA fills vacant seats

By Mary Martin

The Student Association filled two of its six vacant senate seats at Sunday night’s meeting and announced the launch of an e-mail announcement program.

The purpose of the program, called the Easy System, is to announce events coming to campus and allow faculty and staff to be able to contact students about employment opportunities in their fields.

“It will have various uses,” said Craig Marcus, SA president. “It’s completely voluntary. Whatever you want to receive e-mails about, you can sign up for specifically.”

Easy System will debut with the intention of getting students to register for it March 1. The projected launch date for broadcasting e-mails is April 1.

Marcus also said the total cost for the project is $100,000, which will be split up among the different groups who are taking part in producing it.

Among other items, two students were elected as senators.

Freshman political science major Rob Batey and junior political science major Doug Anderson were unanimously approved by the senate.

“I’m very excited,” Anderson said. “There are a lot of things at Northern that need to be changed for the better and I want to be a part of that.”

In his five-minute speech before the vote was taken, Anderson stressed his interest in altering the teacher evaluation process.

“I’d like it to be at least twice per semester; one at the mid-point and one at the end to give teachers a chance to change whatever’s not going right,” he said.

Batey stressed his interest in assuming a leadership role and trying to help represent the student body in any way he can.

“Northern is going to be going through some changes,” Batey said. “To have some youth and a new voice on the senate will be a good thing.”

Currently, there are 34 senators and 40 seats.

The Illinois Public Health Association, Chi Sigma Tau and Giving Back were approved by the senate as new student organizations.