NIU students begin residence hall sign-up

By Rocio Lopez

Although renting season is well under way, sign-up for students living in the residence halls is just beginning.

The housing lottery allows students to choose the residence hall they want to live in, including floor and room type. There has been some version of the current system for more than five years.

“The original process was a response to a history here at Northern based on first come, first serve. We would have students that were camping out all night in residence hall lobbies,” said Michael Stang, manager of residential administration.

As a consequence, students would miss classes. This became one main reason for implementing a new system so students would have specific sign-up times.

“Last semester I was supposed to sign up from 3 to 3:30 p.m. but I had a class at that time, so I ended up being late [for the sign up],” said sophomore undecided major Miguel Romero.

Preference is given to students wishing to return to where they are living now, Stang said. After those sign-ups are complete, an estimated 40 percent of students then use the lottery forms to sign-up for new rooms.

Incoming freshmen aren’t allowed to select where they want to live. Freshmen are usually assigned depending on when their application is received and the preferences they requested.

“Most schools use some system similar to this,” Stang said. “Some do it based on seniority, some do it based on grade point average.”

Single room and academic program floors have specific dates for sign-up apart from general sign-up, though students must meet qualifications to live on these floors.

For the upcoming school year, 500 single rooms are available in the Stevenson Towers and in Grant D Tower.

If a student is unable to attend their corresponding sign-up date, they may ask a fellow student or future roommate to sign-up for them. If problems arise, students should contact the housing office, said David Dunlap, coordinator of marketing and public relations for Student Housing and Dinning Services.

“We want the students to be satisfied with the process and live where they want to live,” Dunlap said.

Dunlap stresses the contract is real, and students are expected to live up to it.

If a student no longer wants to continue living in the residence halls but has already signed a contract, there is a process that students can go through in order to be released. If the withdrawal is requested after the May 1 deadline, fees between $50 and $125 will be implemented.

Additional information is posted on channels eight and 20 in the residence halls for sign-up dates and the number of rooms available, as well as the housing and dining Web site.

If students have any questions or comments they can contact SHDS or their residence hall area offices.